My friend has been asking me for dessert recipes, which require no baking nor special (read: hi-tech) kitchen gadgets in order to make them. Well, you see, he is a single person and working as a grade school teacher in a quite remote area in the south island of the Philippines. Going to the local grocery shop is a “travel” for him, he says. I guess I have to forgive him for being “lazy” in the baking or cooking department as he spends most of his time organising school activities, not to mention preparing everyday lesson materials for his students. All for a good cause! It is actually a good thing for me searching for fuss-free recipes as every now and then, I could use some “lazy” baking or cooking days. I have found a few that are exciting and one of them is this ice cream. The good things about this recipe? Very simple and easy to make with only four ingredients. It has Oreo cookies (my son’s favourite, which is probably why I made it in the first place). And the best part – no ice cream machine needed. Perfect!
Truth be known, I have made ice cream (chilli chocolate flavour) before without a churner. The difference between that recipe and this one is, this Oreo ice cream uses sweetened condensed milk instead of just whole milk. Using condensed milk actually is best if you do not have an ice cream maker machine. It gives a much creamy texture and you do not need to scrape/stir the mixture a few times while freezing it, which you need to do to stop the mixture from getting icy. As a matter of fact, my son said it was too creamy for an ice cream. I guess he meant that in a good way because he enjoyed the ice cream much.
I have adapted this recipe from one of the many ice cream recipes featured on Feastie.com. I pretty much followed the listed ingredients except for the instant pudding mix flavour. Recipe says cheesecake flavour but I did not find any at the grocery store so I grabbed the vanilla flavour instead. Turned out good, just like cookies and cream. Enjoy this served on a cone or as ice cream sandwich. Creamy yummy!
- 395 g sweetened condensed milk
- 600 ml thickened cream
- 100 g packet of instant pudding mix, vanilla flavour
- 100 g Oreo cookies, chopped coarsely
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the condensed milk and pudding mix until pudding mix has dissolved.
- With an electric hand mixer, beat thickened cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream into condensed milk mixture until blended evenly.
- Gently stir in chopped Oreo cookies.
- Transfer into a tin container and freeze (about 2 hours) until set. I used a loaf baking tin and covered it with cling wrap.