My son is into zucchini chips these days. One burger joint in the neighbourhood sells them and he loves them. I have to admit I did not really like the zucchini chips, or fries if you are from North America, the first time I tried them. I thought they were a little bland. They had this “too healthy” taste, which did not excite me much. I like my zucchini sprinkled with sea salt and mixed herbs then grilled. Simple flavours but with a lot of punch. So, I thought I’ll give the zucchini chips a go, make some at home but with the flavours I will enjoy. Zucchini slices coated in mixture of breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, sea salt, garlic seasoning and pepper then baked in the oven until crisp. Tell you what, my son enjoyed them and gave these chips the thumbs up. We had them with peri-peri mayonnaise as dip and seriously, they were good! I had to make two batches, by the way. First batch of twenty five chips gone in a few minutes. That’s how delicious they were. Easy to make, very tasty, crisp and healthy. Now, that’s how I like my zucchini chips!
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- Dip of your choice to serve.
- Preheat oven to 220C degrees.
- Spray rack with cooking oil. Place rack on a baking tray. Set aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and garlic seasoning in a shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper. I am a pepper girl so I tend to add more pepper than salt.
- Slice zucchini into thin slices, about 5 mm thick. They don’t have to be exactly 5 mm each but you get the idea! 3 medium zucchini would yield about 50 chips.
- Dip zucchini slices in skim milk. Coat with Parmesan mixture.
- Lay out slices on prepared rack.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of dip.