Friday, February 5 is World Nutella Day. To which my son, a Nutella nuts would probably ask, “Isn’t everyday Nutella Day?”. True maybe but tomorrow is the day Nutella lovers unite and make it known worldwide that Nutella is not just another chocolate spread.
In celebration of this delicious spread, I am sharing with you a recipe you can go nuts with Nutella. Homemade gelato with caramelised hazelnuts, Ferrero Rocher chocolate and of course, Nutella. I will not take full credit though for this recipe as this was inspired by the gelato the Chiappa sisters made. The gelato was made with condensed milk and thickened cream, which is pretty much the basic ice cream base. You can then add any flavours your taste buds fancy. Now, the amount of Nutella used here was just a suggestion. Express your level of love for this ridiculously addictive spread and go ga-ga according to your heart’s desire!
- 1/2 cup Nutella, softened in microwave
- 500ml thickened cream
- 395g tin condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 5 Ferrero Rocher chocolate, 3 roughly chopped and 2 sliced
- 100g whole hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- On a small frying pan on a medium heat, combine hazelnuts and the icing sugar. Stir so that the nuts become coated in the icing sugar .
- Heat for 5-10 minutes (moving the pan around every few minutes to make sure the nuts don’t catch or burn) until hazelnuts are golden and caramelised.
- Remove from heat. Lightly bash nuts either by using mortar and pestle or putting them in a ziplock bag, then rolling a baking pin over the bag.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to soft peaks the thickened cream, condensed milk and vanilla extract. Do not over beat. Whip in the cocoa powder, and then fold in chopped Ferrero Rocher and most of the hazelnuts. Save some for decorations on top.
- Transfer in a freezable dish. Stir in Nutella using a fork to form a marble effect. Top with the remaining hazelnuts, chopped and sliced Ferrero.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours.