Christmas is truly fast approaching and I am sure most of you have already put up your decors and planned the holiday menu. I have been seeing so many creative ideas on how to decorate not just your walls and windows but even the dining table with impressive tablescape ( Truth be known, I only heard the term “tablescape” early this year. Thanks to Pinterest.) The food presentation is another level up. I really am enjoying looking at all those lovely wreaths and tree shaped desserts and Christmas breads. Last holiday, I made this Nutella Christmas tree as part of the table spread. I have to give due credit to Tastemade.com where I got the recipe from. I made a tiny change by using macadamia nuts instead of almonds because well, I like macadamia. Also, I decorated the tree with sugar cranberries, fresh mint leave sprigs and sprinkled on top some silver sugar pearls for a more festive look. Dust it with some snow icing sugar, which does not melt unlike regular icing sugar so it gives that snowy effect. Tiny confession here. My sugared cranberries did not look sugary enough as I rolled them in sugar before they have completely cooled down. Big mistake. I made another batch but did not make it to the photo as the tree was demolished soon after it was served on the table. This is easy to make and a great treat to share with families and friends. Everyone will enjoy pulling the branches off the tree trunk.
2 sheets puff pastry
50 grams nutella
30 grams diced macadamia
1 egg yolk
sugared cranberries (recipe below)
fresh mint leaves
silver pearl sugar sprinkles
snow icing, to sprinkle for snow effect
- Preheat oven to 220C degrees.
- Cut out puff pastry in the shape of a Christmas tree.
- Place a sheet of pastry on lined baking sheet. Spread nutella on top of pastry and sprinkle with diced macadamia.
- Place the other sheet of puff pastry on top. Cut slits on both sides spacing them 1 centimeter apart, leaving the center intact.
- Twist each strip of pastry twice.
- Cut out a star shape with the leftover pastry and place this on the top.
- Brush pastry with egg yolk mixed with a little water.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on serving platter.
- Decorate with sugared cranberries, mint leaves and silver pearl sprinkles.
- Dust with snow icing sugar.
Ingredients : Sugared Cranberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in cranberries until well coated. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to wire rack; let dry for at least 1 hour.
- Working in batches, roll cranberries in remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar until well coated; let dry for at least 1 hour.