It truly well is the month of love and hearts and the color red. Why, I even applied red nail polish today! Alright, that information was trivial and has really nothing to do with the coming Valentine’s Day. But what would interest you I am sure are these lovely treats you can bake and give as edible presents to loved ones. This is a favourite recipe of mine to make this time of the year – sweetheart scones, or if you prefer, you may call them biscuits. Scones originated in Scotland and biscuits are thought of as American but both are mixed and baked the same way that you can hardly tell the difference. Now, what is so exciting about these scones I make? They are delicious to start with. Secondly, they are fancied up with chopped fresh strawberries and chocolate pieces. And lastly, they are heart-shaped. Of course, you may shape them into traditional rounds scones but since they are Valentine treats, might as well shape them in cute edible hearts.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips ( I like using dark chocolate)
- caster sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 200C degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Grate the frozen butter into dry mixture.
- Beat in egg and sour cream until just combined. Do not over beat.
- Stir in strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Turn dough into a lightly floured surface and knead gently.
- Pat dough into a circle about 3/4″ thick. Cut with heart-shaped cookie cutters.
- Place scones on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle scones with sugar. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until scones are golden.
Make them days ahead as they keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Have them with traditional tea or a mug of hot chocolate. Though you might wanna have these all ( a dozen ) to yourself, it will be lovely to share and enjoy these with your loved ones. Happy Valentine everyone!