Weekend! Sounds good, right? I love Saturday mornings especially lazy ones. I get to relax and take my time, unless of course I have some early commitment I needed to go to. Brunch is always a Saturday treat. Any morning any day of the week , breakfast for each family member would be “make-your-own”. But not Saturday. A family favourite of course is the bacon and egg combo. Every now and then, French cinnamon toast would be on the table. Plain or blueberry pancakes is another favourite. Then I was introduce to savoury pancakes by a good friend and have been loving these zucchini and sweet corn pancakes since.
I actually should call this zucchini, sweet corn and butternut pumpkin pancakes because I add a cup of mashed butternut to this recipe. Sweet and savoury, these delicious pancakes are great served with fresh avocado slices, tomatoes, mixed leaf salad and a dollop of sour cream. Have these for brunch or light snack and seriously, these can be served with grilled chicken breasts for a delightful main meal.
- 310g tin corn kernels, drained
- 150g zucchini, grated
- 1 cup cooked and mashed butternut pumpkin
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and cracked black pepper
- sour cream, to serve
- Whisk together the corn, zucchini, pumpkin, eggs and milk. Gradually stir in the sifted flour and cumin, salt and pepper.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Using a tablespoon, place heaped spoonfuls of the mixture in the pan and cook in batches. Using a spatula, turn them once, until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel, cover and keep warm as you cook remaining fritters.
- Serve the pancakes with a good dollop of sour cream. Savour and enjoy!