I know, I know, it is another recipe with avocado. Just taking advantage of the ripe avocados available in the market. Would you all believe that I didn’t like avocados for many many years until moving to Australia? We had this avocado tree at my parents’ place and without exaggeration, bore so much fruits each year that my mother had to share them with anybody from the neighbourhood who would take them. I don’t know why I didn’t like the taste and texture when they mix mashed avocado with milk then freeze them. I missed out big time! For 30 plus years, I ignored the fruit. Not only it is healthy and good for you but it is very versatile and you can create different meals with it. So, what made me like avocado, you’d probably wondering. I had avocado and chicken melt (open sandwich) a few days after moving to Sydney and seriously, I could not get enough of it. I realised that I like avocado when they are not mashed but sliced instead used in salads and sandwiches. I was an avocado fanatic since then.
Now, this cold salad is just fantastic for a light lunch or as an entree. For lunch, I had this with some toasted tortillas. You can have crackers or pita bits if you like but I love tortillas. Just grab a packet, cut them in quarters and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. When it comes to adding the chipotle powder, I’ll leave it up to you. I have medium tolerance for hot and spicy foods. Add a reasonable pinch first as you can adjust the seasoning according to your taste anyway. If chipotle powder is not available, cayenne pepper will do as a substitute.
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- good pinch of chipotle powder, plus extra to garnish
- 2 x 170g tins crab meat, well drained
- 125g tin corn kernels, drained
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 spring onions ( white part only), thinly sliced
- 2 ripe medium avocados
- 1 bunch coriander, sprigs picked
- salt, to taste
- 4-6 tortillas, each cut into 4 triangles
- Preheat oven to 180C degrees. Place tortilla triangles on a lined baking tray. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, lime juice and chipotle powder. Add the crab meat and stir until well combined.
- Mix in the corn kernels, spring onion, cucumber and chives.
- Halve the avocados. Remove skin and peel off skin. Cut into 2cm pieces. Add to the bowl and gently mix to combine. Season with salt.
- Divide coriander sprigs among 4 serving plates. Top with the salad mixture. Sprinkle with a bit more chipotle powder.
- Serve with toasted tortillas.