It is that time of the year again, the love month! Red colour dominates and something sweet is a special ( double ) treat. I was not planning on whipping up something for Valentine’s day and was just happy looking at all the lovely goodies fellow food bloggers have posted. But they were just so tempting and inspiring that I thought, why not? Strawberries in the market. So, why not enjoy those red and almost heart-shaped berries and create something sweet for the season like a strawberry shortbread cake. Shortbread? Shortcake? What’s the difference? Shortbread is made with plain flour, sugar and butter. Sometimes, cornflour is added to add texture. Shortcake is made with flour, sugar, butter or vegetable fat and a leavening agent such as baking powder or baking soda. The leavening agent gives it a different texture making it lighter in texture. Eggs are sometimes use when making shortcake. Or think along this line, shortbread is like a biscuit ( crisp and crumbly ) while shortcake is like a cake ( light and fluffy ).
This is such a simple and super easy treat to make. A little bit of mixing ( the dough ) and slicing ( the strawberries ) and quick baking involved. No rocket science skills required. Impress anyone with this pretty shortbread cookie topped with fresh strawberries glazed with strawberry jam. Do not forget the whipped cream, by the way. And of course, do not forget to share with your loved ones. Sweet and simple!
- 110 g butter, softened
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam, melted
- whipped cream
- fresh mint leaves, to garnish
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour and cornstarch into the mixture and stir to make a firm dough.
- Wrap in foil and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 170C degrees.
- Place dough on a lined baking sheet. Pat or roll to a circle about 1/2 inch thick. This will make one 6-inch dough. Trim edges if desired to create a nice circle.
- Prick dough all over with a fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden but not brown.
- Cool on baking sheet.
- Carefully transfer shortbread to a serving plate.
- Arrange strawberry slices on top of shortbread. Glaze with strawberry jam.
- Pipe whipped cream around edge of shortbread.
- Garnish with some fresh mint leaves.